Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
Schools breeding hatred
access_time 14 Sep 2023 10:37 AM GMT
access_time 16 Aug 2023 5:46 AM GMT
May that spark not be extinguished
access_time 2 Dec 2023 8:55 AM GMT
A Constitution always in the making
access_time 27 Nov 2023 11:43 AM GMT
Homechevron_rightBusinesschevron_right88% of Rs 2,000 notes...

88% of Rs 2,000 notes returned to banks: RBI

88% of Rs 2,000 notes returned to banks: RBI

New Delhi: The Reserve Bank announced the withdrawal of the high-value currency notes from circulation in May, and on Tuesday it reported that 88% of the Rs 2,000 banknotes, worth Rs 3.14 lakh crore, had been returned to the banking system. According to information from banks, the RBI estimated that up to July 31, 2023, the value of all Rs 2,000 banknotes recovered from circulation is Rs 3.14 lakh crore.

"Consequently, Rs 2,000 banknotes in circulation as at the close of business on July 31 stood at Rs 0.42 lakh crore," the central bank said in a statement.

As much as 88 per cent of the Rs 2,000 banknotes in circulation as on May 19, 2023, have since been returned.

The total value of Rs 2,000 banknotes in circulation, which amounted to Rs 3.62 lakh crore on March 31, 2023, had declined to Rs 3.56 lakh crore as of the close of business on May 19, 2023.

Out of the total banknotes in Rs 2,000 denomination received back from circulation, about 87 per cent came in the form of deposits and the remaining around 13 per cent has been exchanged into other denomination banknotes.

The Reserve Bank has urged the public to utilise the next two months to deposit and/or exchange the Rs 2,000 banknotes held with them to avoid any rush in the last few days before September 30, 2023.

With PTI inputs

Show Full Article
TAGS:Reserve bank of india2000 rupee bank notes
Next Story