Kozhikode: A big fire broke out at SM Street the major commercial centre in Kozhikode city on Wednesday.
Modern Handloom and Textiles, a three-storey textile shop building near Radha theatre, caught fire at around 11.30 in the morning and the blaze spread to 15 shops nearby. No injuries or casualties have been reported so far.
District collector said that short circuit is suspected to be the reason behind the fire.
Fireforce units from different parts of the district rushed to the spot and 14 fire engines were deployed in the spot. Fire force used water and foam to douse the flames. More units from nearby districts are rushing to the spot as this report is being filed. Rescue workers managed to take out 4 LPG cylinders out of the buildings and that averted more damages.
Modern Handloom is owned by Gujarat based business man Pankaj Bulani who is running the shop from 1953 onwards.
All the shops in the vicinity are closed.