Kochi: A 20-year-old man was killed and four others injured when fireworks stored in a shed went off after a lighted cracker fell near it amid festival celebrations at a Chapel near here, police said.
The incident occurred last evening during 'perunnal' festivities at the Chapel in Mampra, they said.
Firecrackers kept in the shed adjacent to the chapel for use during the festival went off after a cracker fell near it and burst, killing one Simon, police said.
The injured have been hospitalised in Angamaly and Ernakulam here, they added.
More than 100 devotees were killed in a major fireworks tragedy that occurred at Puttingal Devi temple near Kollam in Kerala in April, 2016 when the storehouse of the fireworks materials caught fire.