Miami: A military judge presiding over the stalled Sept. 11 war crimes tribunal at Guantanamo Bay is being urged to move the case along.
Prosecutors have asked Army Col. James Pohl to set a Sept. 22, 2014, trial date, establish deadlines for pre-trial motions and hold month long hearings to resolve preliminary matters that must be addressed before the death penalty case against five Guantanamo prisoners can be heard by a jury of military officers at the U.S. base in Cuba.
Prosecutors say in a motion unsealed Monday that the sporadic, five-day pre-trial sessions held so far are not adequate for what is believed to be one of the most complex trials in U.S. history.
“The current practice of being in court for five days approximately every six weeks is inefficient and will result in litigation that is unnecessarily prolonged, and does not serve the interests of justice,” they argue in a motion signed by the chief prosecutor, Army Brig. Gen. Mark Martins, and a civilian co-prosecutor, Clay Trivett.
The five prisoners face charges by military commission, a special tribunal for wartime offenses, which include terrorism and nearly 3,000 counts of murder for their alleged roles planning and assisting the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack. The defendants include Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who has admitted to being the mastermind of the plot.
Their May 2012 arraignment, postponed by a prolonged debate over whether they should be tried in civilian or the military court at Guantanamo, ended up taking 13 hours after the defendants refused to use the court translation system. Subsequent sessions have been put off or delayed by factors that have included a tropical storm threat, the derailment of a train in Maryland that damaged a fibre-optic line that serves Guantanamo, complaints about mould and rat droppings in offices used by defence attorneys and the discovery of listening devices in the rooms where lawyers meet with defendants.
Legal disputes have also bogged down the case. Four defence teams have refused to sign a protective order governing the handling of classified evidence, arguing the restrictions are overly broad and intrusive, and they have battled with officials over rules on communicating with their clients at Guantanamo that they say interfere with attorney-client privilege.
The legal complexity of the case stems from the fact that the men were held for several years by the CIA in overseas “black sites,” where they were subjected to harsh treatment that their lawyers say amounted to torture. What happened to the men in custody before they were transferred to Guantanamo is central to the defence, but aspects of the government’s rendition and interrogation program remain classified.
Prosecutors say in their motion that they expect to be able to present their case in 6-8 weeks, though the defence say the overall trial is likely to take much longer.
The slow pace has been difficult for observers, who have included fire-fighters and relatives of people killed in the Sept. 11 attacks chosen by lottery to view what have turned out to be dense, legalistic proceedings at Guantanamo.
“There is a lot of frustration and you can see why,” said retired New York City Fire Department Capt. Al Fuentes, who attended a pre-trial session in June. “It never ends.”
Fuentes, who was severely injured when the North Tower of the World Trade Centre collapsed during the attacks and is expected to be a witness at an eventual trial, added, however, that the delays do not seem frivolous.
“People want justice, obviously, and so do I,” he said by phone from his home in Long Beach, New York. “But the defence attorneys they have a job to do and they are going to do it to the best of their abilities.”
The defence teams have not yet responded to the prosecution’s scheduling motion and lawyers have requested more time to propose an alternate trial schedule. Navy Cmdr. Walter Ruiz, appointed to represent Mustafa Ahmad al-Hawsawi, said he was likely to suggest June 2015. “But even that is ambitious,” he said.