Salman's re-trial fails to begin, case deferred to Apr 28text_fields
Mumbai: The re-trial in the hit-and-run case involving actor Salman Khan was Tuesday deferred till April 28 by a sessions court as the prosecution sought time to produce witnesses in view of police deployment on election duty.
Investigating officer Rajendra Kane informed the court that police were deployed on election duty and hence they were not yet prepared to go ahead with the trial which was to commence today.
Sessions Judge D W Deshpande asked the prosecution to produce on April 28 the first witness who was injured in the mishap in which the actor was involved, followed by eye witnesses in May.
This is the second occasion when the fresh trial has not begun. On March 26, three witnesses failed to turn up as they were either not available or untraceable.
Salman's lawyer Srikant Shivade said the actor was ready to face the trial while prosecutor Jagannath Kenjalkar said they would produce witnesses from April 28.
Clad in a white shirt and blue denim jeans, Salman came to the court and sat on a bench along with his bodyguard and sister Alvira. He keenly watched the proceedings and left as soon as the court announced the next date of hearing.
The judge ordered a fresh trial in this case, 12 years after the actor ran over his car on people sleeping on the road.
Although the prosecution has submitted a list of 64 witnesses, it would not examine all of them, according to the public prosecutor.
The prosecution had earlier submitted documents such as death certificate (of the person who was killed in the mishap) and injury certificates (of those who were injured) in this case. The court had admitted these documents after Salman's lawyer submitted his say on admissibility of the documents.
Salman is facing the charge of running over his Toyota Land Cruiser on a group of persons sleeping on a footpath outside a bakery in suburban Bandra on September 28, 2002, killing one and injuring four others.