Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
keyboard_arrow_down
Login
exit_to_app
Women and girls need to be safe
access_time 2021-01-15T15:08:45+05:30
Another Trump impeachment
access_time 2021-01-15T11:16:29+05:30
Covid 19 spread
access_time 2021-01-14T15:40:30+05:30
Freezing the Centre or the farmer protest?
access_time 2021-01-14T12:55:08+05:30
DEEP READAll arrow_drop_down
Anti-Conversion Law: A law meant for abuse
access_time 2021-01-12T13:56:35+05:30
Syed Shahriyaar
access_time 2021-01-05T19:08:46+05:30
Reading A week in the life of Svitlana
access_time 2020-12-23T12:06:42+05:30
Hum Dekhenge- One year of Anti-CAA protests
access_time 2020-12-22T17:35:06+05:30
The French Fanatic and the Fanatic Fringe
access_time 2020-11-02T15:56:00+05:30
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightIndiachevron_rightWarship INS Kuthar...

Warship INS Kuthar damaged in mishap, Navy orders probe

text_fields
bookmark_border
Warship INS Kuthar damaged in mishap, Navy orders probe
cancel

New Delhi: In yet another naval mishap, a warship suffered damage while operating in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands territory prompting the force to order a detailed investigation into it.

INS Kuthar-- a Khukri class corvette-- suffered damage while entering the harbour of a naval base in Andamans and is undergoing repairs there, sources said here.

It is the 15th reported mishap involving naval personnel and assets after the sinking of the Russian-origin submarine INS Sindhurakshak in August last year in which all the 18 personnel on board were killed.

The latest mishap occurred at a time when the warship was returning after operating in rough weather.

A Board of Inquiry (BoI) under a senior officer has been ordered, they said.

The warship INS Kuthar is understood to be part of the fleet of the Vishakhapatnam-based Eastern Naval Command, which is in-charge of operations in Bay of Bengal and areas beyond it.

The spate of accidents in the Navy resulted in the resignation of former Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi, who took moral responsibility of the accidents and sought voluntary retirement from the maritime force on February 26.

Recently, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley in written answers told Parliament that the Navy is conducting a number of Board of Inquiries into the mishaps involving the assets of the force.

The major mishaps include last year's sinking of INS Sindhurakshak on August 14, fire on board aircraft carrier INS Virat on September 22, fire on board INS Konkan on December 4 and accident of INS Talwar with a fishing trawler.

In 2014, the INS Betwa developed a crack in its SONAR dome. There was also running aground of submarine INS Sindhughosh, damage to the propeller of INS Airavat in Vishakhapatnam and death of two Navy officers on board INS Sindhuratna due to a fire incident.

"Lessons learnt from the Board of Inquiry (Bols) are being implemented.

Corrective steps have been taken by Naval Headquarters with extensive checks on weapon related safety systems and audit of Standard Operating Procedures on all operational naval units," Jaitley told Parliament.

The Minister said safety procedures and professional checks are being re-emphasised and 'Incidents Study and Analysis Cells' have been instituted at professional schools wherein lessons learnt are incorporated into professional training.

PTI

Show Full Article
TAGS:
Next Story