Punto Fijo: The devastating fire that followed an explosion at Venezuela's main oil refinery was still burning strong, as President Hugo Chavez surveyed the carnage that killed 41 people.
The Venezuelan leader promised an investigation into Saturday's tragedy - a gas leak is the suspected cause -- and three days of national mourning were declared ahead of his trip to the Amuay refinery, in the country's far north.
But Chavez, fighting a re-election campaign ahead of October 7 elections, on his visit to the site slammed reports that poor maintenance was to blame for the accident at the refinery, one of the biggest in the world.
"Some philosopher said - I don't know who - that 'life must go on,'" said Chavez, describing as "irresponsible," experts who have suggested that the government had inadequate safeguards in place at the state-owned site.
The toll jumped to 41 Sunday after two people who sustained extensive burns in the blast succumbed to their injuries.
Jesus Valdes of Coromoto Maracaibo Hospital said seven of 15 people admitted with serious injuries and still receiving care were in a "critical but stable condition."
Venezuela is South America's biggest oil producer and more than 30 hours after the worst accident ever for state oil firm Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), authorities were still struggling to extinguish flames in two of nine storage tanks that were set ablaze at the refinery.
At least 18 of those killed in the fire were National Guard soldiers and 15 were civilians, most of them relatives of the troops. Six more bodies were unidentified.
Vice President Elias Jaua said "erratic winds" had complicated the work of firefighters in trying to extinguish monster flames spilling out of the tanks that could be seen from kilometers (miles away), but he insisted that the situation was "under control."
The refinery is located in a residential and commercial complex where workers live with their relatives and poor families who settled in surrounding neighborhoods.
A total of 121 people, including 48 children were receiving medical and psychological care at a naval base, according to authorities who reported a that 209 homes and 11 businesses had been impacted by the incident.