New Delhi: Afzal Guru, who was hanged Saturday morning in Delhi's Tihar Jail, was buried soon after in the prison premises, sources said.
The sources said Guru was buried near jail no 3, close to the spot where he was hanged. He spent nearly eight years in Tihar Jail on death row.
"He was very peaceful and calm during the final moments. He looked very composed," a top Tihar Jail official told PTI.
"Afzal Guru was hanged at 8 a.m.," Home Secretary R.K. Singh told reporters.
"We received the president's rejection of his mercy plea on Feb 3...We moved accordingly then," he said.
Security has been stepped up in some towns, he added.
Afzal Guru was convicted for his role in the attack on Parliament in 2001.
Earlier, President Mukherjee's Press Secretary Venu Rajamony told IANS: "Guru's mercy plea was rejected by the president some days ago."
A curfew has been clamped in parts of Jammu and Kashmir.
Afzal Guru was given the death sentence by the Supreme Court in 2004. His hanging was scheduled for October 2006, but was stayed after his wife filed a mercy petition.
Nine people were killed in the December 2001 parliament attack when five heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists drove into the Parliament complex and opened fire.
The terrorists were shot dead.
Timeline of events after Dec 13 parliament attack
* Dec 13, 2001: Five terrorists enter the parliament complex and open indiscriminate fire, killing nine people and injuring over 15.
* Dec 15, 2001: Delhi Police pick up Afzal Guru, a member of terrorist outfit Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM), from Jammu and Kashmir. S.A.R. Geelani of Delhi University's Zakir Hussain College picked up for questioning and later arrested. Two others - Afsan Guru and her husband Shaukat Hussain Guru - were picked up later.
* Dec 25, 2001: Under immense international pressure, the Pakistan government arrests JeM chief Maulana Masood Azhar.
* Dec 29, 2001: Afzal Guru sent to 10 days' police remand.
* June 4, 2002: Charges are framed against four people - Afzal Guru, Geelani, Shaukat Hussain Guru, Afsan Guru and Geelani.
* Dec 18, 2002: Death sentence awarded to S.A.R. Geelani, Shaukat Hussain Guru, and Afzal Guru, while Afsan Guru was let off.
* Oct 29, 2003: Geelani acquitted in the case.
* Aug 4, 2005: The Supreme Court, while confirming the death sentence of Afzal Guru, commutes Shaukat Hussain Guru's death sentence to 10 years rigorous imprisonment.
* Sep 26, 2006: Delhi court orders Afzal to be hanged.
* Oct 3, 2006: Afzal Guru's wife Tabasum Guru files a mercy petition with then president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
* Jan 12, 2007: The Supreme Court dismisses Afzal Guru's plea seeking review of his death sentence, saying "there is no merit" in it.
* Dec 30, 2010: Shaukat Hussain Guru released from Delhi's Tihar Jail.
* Dec 10, 2012: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said he would examine Afzal Guru's file after parliament's winter session concludes Dec 22.
* Feb 3, 2013: President Pranab Mukherjeee rejected Afzal Guru's mercy plea.
* Feb 9, 2013: Afzal Guru hanged in New Delhi's Tihar jail at 8 a.m.