Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
exit_to_app
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightKeralachevron_rightNo re-probe in...

No re-probe in Suryanelli case, says Govt

text_fields
bookmark_border
No re-probe in Suryanelli case, says Govt
cancel

Thiruvananthapuram: Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan on Wednesday said the government would not order a re-investigation into the Suryanelli sex scandal.

Replying to the opposition's demand to reopen the case, Thiruvanchoor said in the Assembly that apart from the opinion of Director-General of Prosecutions T. Asif Ali, who held that there was no need for a fresh probe, the government had also received the advice of the state law secretary.

"We then got a third opinion from Justice (retired) Padmanabhan Nair, who appeared for the state in the apex court last month in this case. He too has concluded that it is not possible to go through a fresh probe."

Radhakrishnan recalled that in 2005, K.P. Viswanathan, then the state's forest minister, had resigned after Justice Nair made remarks in the high court linking him to the sandalwood mafia.

"You should note that subsequently Viswanathan was exonerated by the apex court. So Justice Nair's opinion in the Suryanelli case cannot be seen as partial to the ruling dispensation. A state government can only proceed in accordance with law, and we are doing just that," Radhakrishnan said.

The state home minister reminded the Left opposition that they were free to approach the court in the matter.

Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the government will place the three legal opinions that the government got on this issue on the table of the house.

Show Full Article
TAGS:
Next Story