Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
Homechevron_rightKeralachevron_rightLDF walkout over...

LDF walkout over Shukoor murder case

LDF walkout over Shukoor murder case

Thiruvananthapuram: Opposition LDF Monday staged a walkout in the Assembly after government rejected to discuss the retraction of statements by witnesses in a murder case pertaining to the murder of Muslim League activist Abdul Shukoor (21) of Ariyil in Kannur district in which two top CPI-M leaders had been named as accused.

The demand for a discussion in the wake of the retraction of statements by witnesses in the case was sought in the House by E P Jayarajan MLA through an adjournment motion.

Jayarajan said that the key Prosecution witness’ retraction was due to pressure from the Muslim League. He also said that the police and the Muslim League were in a nexus to trap CPI-M leaders P Jayarajan and T V Rajesh MLA in false cases.

Speaker G Karthikeyan did not admit the motion saying it was against protocol to discuss the issue as the trail of the case is set to begin in the court today (Monday). He also quoted the previous Speakers’ decisions on such matters.

Two key Prosecution witnesses Thursday turned hostile in the sensational case, causing concerns about the possibility of the derailment of the entire case.

PP Abu and Muhammad Sabir, both from Thalipparambu in Kannur, had told the police earlier that they had seen CPI-M’s Kannur district secretary P Jayarajan and party MLA TV Rajesh at the Cooperative Hospital in Thalassery, Kannur when another party leader UV Venu was giving instructions to his colleagues over the phone to murder Shukoor.

However, Abu and Sabir told a court in Thalipparambu on Thursday that they had never given such a statement and that there was no reason for them to go to the particular hospital where the CPI-M leaders were present because both of them were locally well-known Muslim League workers.

It was on the basis of their statements to the police that Jayarajan and Rajesh were named 32nd and 33rd accused respectively in the Shukoor murder case for not trying to prevent the crime even after they knew of the plan for it.

Later, Abu said he retracted his statement after receiving threats. He said that he would now stand firm on the statement he had made before the investigating officer.

Show Full Article
Next Story