Chlorine gas leak at civic-run swimming pool in Pune hospitalizes 16 peopletext_fields
Pune: Sixteen people were hospitalised after inhaling chlorine gas that leaked from a cylinder at a civic-run swimming pool in the Kasarwadi area of Pimpri-Chinchwad, Maharashtra's Pune district.
The incident occurred around 9 am on Tuesday.
Fire officials responded to the gas leak by sealing the cylinder and submerging it in the pool to allow the gas to dissolve in the water. The affected area was cordoned off, and people were evacuated. Sixteen individuals who had been in the pool and were exposed to the gas were transported to a civic-run hospital for treatment. Some lifeguards also experienced the effects of the gas.
People who inhaled chlorine gas reported symptoms such as cough and nausea, but the condition of the affected individuals was reported as stable by civic officials.