Deeply shocked: PM Modi on Gaza hospital attack; calls for accountabilitytext_fields
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday said that he was "deeply shocked" over the blast at a hospital in Gaza and that "those involved should be held responsible" and also expressed concern over the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas.
"Deeply shocked at the tragic loss of lives at the Al Ahli Hospital in Gaza. Our heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims, and prayers for speedy recovery of those injured," the Prime Minister wrote on X.
"Civilian casualties in the ongoing conflict are a matter of serious and continuing concern. Those involved should be held responsible", he added.
At least 500 people, including the wounded, women and children, who were seeking shelter at Al-Ahli Hospital in Gaza City, were killed in the attack on the hospital Tuesday. A spokesperson from the Gaza health ministry also said that a significant number of individuals lost their lives in the explosion, Reuters reported.
Hamas claimed that the massive explosion was a result of an air strike by the Israeli army. However, the Israel Defence Force (IDF) has denied the claims.
Heads of several nations and UN authorities expressed their shock over the incident.
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he was "horrified by the killing of hundreds of civilians" Strongly condemned the strike, he said that his "heart is with the families of those who died".
US President Joe Biden said he was "outraged" by the explosion at a Gaza hospital and said he had directed his national security team to gather information about exactly what had happened.
"The United States stands unequivocally for the protection of civilian life during conflict, and we mourn the patients, medical staff and other innocents killed or wounded in this tragedy," he said.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) said the hospital was "unprecedented in scale". "We have seen consistent attacks on healthcare in the occupied Palestinian territory. This attack is unprecedented in scale," WHO Representative for the West Bank and Gaza, Richard Peeperkorn, noted.
Hamas militants based in the Gaza Strip launched an unprecedented attack on Israel by land, air, and sea on October 7. Israel retaliated by bombing Gaza since then and killing nearly 3, 000 Palestinians including women and children.