In a late night press conference held on Friday, farmers' leaders alleged that government agencies were trying to disrupt the farmers' protest by resorting to mischief.
Addressing the media, the leaders paraded a youth before the media who was nabbed at Singhu border. They alleged that he was part of a gang of 10 people, including two girls, tasked with creating mischief at the protest site before Republic Day so that the protests got disrupted.
The person who was nabbed, as per the farmers' leaders, had confessed that he had received arms trainings and told them that there was a plan to assassinate four leaders on Republic Day. However, the names of the 'targets' were not disclosed by them.
According to the farmers' leaders, the accused allegedly confessed that he was given pictures of the targets so that he could identify them. He also confessed to receiving directions from a land line number from his 'handlers' and that he was directed to open fire at the protesting farmers on Republic Day.
"Arms and ammunition was also dispatched with the intention to kill the farmers' leaders," they alleged.
Pertinently, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar had earlier in the day said that the ongoing farmers' protest had 'lost its sanctity'.
His accusation came after the 11th round of talks between farmers and the government hit a roadblock, without any plans being announced to hold the next round of talks.
"Government gave many proposals to end the protest, but no resolution is possible when the sanctity of agitation is lost. Government always maintained it is ready to consider alternatives to repeal; our proposal is in the interest of farmers and of the country," said the Union minister.