Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
exit_to_app
DEEP READ
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightIndiachevron_rightIndia and China to...

India and China to hold next high-level military talk next week

text_fields
bookmark_border
India and China to hold next high-level military talk next week
cancel
camera_altAn Indian Air Force aircraft is seen against the backdrop of mountains surrounding Leh, the joint capital of the union territory of Ladakh, on June 27, 2020

The next and thirteenth round of high-level military talks between India and China will take place next week, officials informed on Saturday. The purpose of the talk is to take forward the disengagement process in the regions along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh experiencing friction such as Hot Springs and other areas. Both sides have exchanged notes as part of preparations for the next round of Corps Commander-level talks expected to be held in the second week of October.

"A clarity on the date and venue for the talks is expected in the next three-four days," said a source.

After a comprehensive review of the ground situation, Army Chief Gen MM Naravane said that Indian soldiers are ready to deal with any eventuality in every possible way in eastern Ladakh. Naravane began his two-day visit to eastern Ladakh on Friday.

"I always try to go to the forward areas so that I can see for myself the situation. I am very happy that our soldiers are fully ready in every possible way," Gen Naravane said after the trip.

Furthermore, in a lecture at an industry chamber on Thursday, Naravane said that the unprecedented military standoff with China requires immediate response and large scale mobilisation of resources despite the pandemic.

"The unprecedented developments necessitated large scale resource mobilisation, orchestration of forces and immediate response, all this in a Covid-infested environment," he said.

The army, meanwhile, is attempting to boost its combat abilities. As part of this, they have deployed K9-Vajra 155 mm howitzer in eastern Ladakh.

The border standoff between India and its neighbouring military started on May 5, 2020. The two armies clashed violently in the Pangong lake area. The two sides upgraded gradually and sent in more soldiers and heavy weaponry.

The disengagement process was completed in the Gogra area last year after a string of military and diplomatic talks.

The two sides completed the withdrawals of troops and weapons from the banks of the lake as per the agreement on disengagement in February. Currently, both sides have 50,000-60,000 troops along the LAC in sensitive areas.

Show Full Article
TAGS:India-china border LAC 
Next Story