Jacqueline Fernandez deleted evidence in cell phone: EDtext_fields
New Delhi: Bollywood actress Jacqueline Fernandez, an accused in a money laundering case, deleted evidence from her cell phone and attempted to flee the country, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) claimed on Saturday.
The agency made the submission opposing the bail plea filed by the actor in the money laundering case connected with a Rs 200 crore extortion matter that involved multimillionaire conman Sukesh Chandrashekhar.
ED said, "She admitted deleting crucial evidence on her phone, and further had told others to delete the evidence, which amounts to tampering of evidence. She also tried to flee abroad."
During the investigation, it was learned that Jacqueline enjoyed the proceeds of crime which the main accused (Sukesh Chandrashekhar and Leena Maria Paul) obtained by the route of extortion from Aditi (wife of Shivinder Singh). Jacqueline had knowledge of the criminal antecedents of the main accused, Sukesh and Leena, ED, stated.
The central probe agency said, "She not only used and enjoyed the proceeds of crime herself but also shared that with her family members staying abroad while knowing very well that the money and gifts showered by Chandrasekar were nothing but proceeds of crime not earned by him through any genuine source. An amount of Rs 7,12,24,767 had been identified till now as proceed of crime, and the same was attached."
It further said that the actress never cooperated with the probe team, and she only made the disclosure after it confronted her with all the evidence and statements.
At first, Jacqueline denied that Chandrashekhar purchased two cars for her parents, but on December 12, 2021, she admitted it. She also stated that her sister had received $1,72,913 in her account.
She was granted interim bail, and the same has been extended till the next hearing.