Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
exit_to_app
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightIndiachevron_rightKarnataka: 8 dead...

Karnataka: 8 dead after dynamite blast in Shivamogga

text_fields
bookmark_border
Karnataka: 8 dead after dynamite blast in Shivamogga
cancel

Bengaluru: Atleast eight people were killed in stone mining quarry explosion in Karnataka's Shivamogga district on Thursday night, district collector KB Shivakumar told news agency ANI.

According to the reports from NDTV, the people who died in the explosion were reportedly transporting the explosives meant for mining in a truck when the incident happened. The truck was destroyed, the police said.

The police said that they have not ruled out the possibility of subsequent explosions at the quarry in Hunasondi near village Abbalagere since some dynamite sticks are still live.

Bomb disposal squads have been called in and the entire area has been sealed off.

"The entire area has been sealed off. So far we have seen two bodies and many are feared dead inside the quarry. Bomb disposal teams will reach here from Mangaluru and Bengaluru in a few hours. As there may be active explosives, nobody is allowed inside till the squads come here," senior police officer of Davanagere range S Ravi told NDTV.

The blast which occurred around 10:20 pm, resulting in a loud sound and tremors has send shockwaves not only in Shivamogga but also in the nearby Chikkamagaluru and Davangere district as well. The local who took took the mysterious loud sound that shattered window panes to be an earthquake ran out to the streets in fear.


Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa, whose home district is Shivamogga has ordered a probe into the explosion. Yediyurappa also took to Twitter to express his condolences. "I wish to express my deepest condolences to the family of those who died. The wounded are being treated and I wish them all speedy recovery. A high-level investigation has been ordered and strict action against the guilty is certain," the Chief Minister tweeted.

"Pained by the loss of lives in Shivamogga. Condolences to the bereaved families. Praying that the injured recover soon. The State Government is providing all possible assistance to the affected," Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted.

Show Full Article
TAGS:Karnataka shivamogga Quarry explosion 
Next Story