NTA postpones CUET in 50 centres amid technical glitchestext_fields
NEW DELHI: For the second day in a row, struggling students and parents suffered when several CUET-UG centres cancelled examinations due to technical glitches.
In a late-night statement, the National Testing Agency (NTA) said that the examinations scheduled for the first shift in 20 centres have been postponed and the second shift examinations in 30 centres were also put off.
The decision was taken by NTA following the reports of observers/city coordinators. On the second day of the Central University Entrance Test Undergraduate (CUET-UG) examination, anxious students posted about their concerns on social media.
Students in Noida were the worst affected and the NTA cancelled the exam there. Many people took to social media to share the notice posted by NTA in front of the Centre. The notice said, "It is regretted that due to technical/logistics reasons, the CUET (UG) exam scheduled at the centre on August 5 is postponed to August 12."
For the students and parents who were already stressed because of the exam, it was bad enough that they had to brave the rain for two hours as the exam was cancelled at the last minute.
Some students claimed that they received a communication from NTA late at night informing them that the exam scheduled to be held on Saturday has been postponed. Due to "administrative and logistical reasons".
While some examinations were cancelled in a few centres in 17 states in the first shift on Thursday, the second shift examination was cancelled in 489 centres.
Many students complained that they had to wait for two hours to learn that the exams scheduled for that day had been cancelled.
Candidates are also panicking as the agency did not issue the admit cards on Sunday.
On the second day, the examination held in the first shift was postponed in 20 centres and in the second shift in 30 centres across the country.
"Technical issues were reported at some centres, following which reports were sought from observers and city coordinators on the ground. Based on their recommendations, a decision to postpone the exam was taken," a senior NTA official said.
Fresh dates for the examinations were not announced by the agency.
Ganika, who wants to pursue BA (Hons) Sociology at Delhi University, said, "I came from Chhatarpur to the exam centre in Noida Sector 64 (about 34 km). We were made to sit on the terminals. At noon, we were told that the exam will not be conducted today since there are technical issues. Yesterday, my sister came all the way from Narela to this centre (about 84 km) but had to return due to the same issue."
"This is the height of mismanagement," she added.
Another CUET aspirant Hemanshe Udar shared a similar grievance.
"I left my home in Dwarka Sector 51 (44 km) at 5.30 am to reach the centre on time. But we were told after nearly three hours that the paper won't happen today and we have to return on August 12. It is extremely difficult to commute from so far away," she said.
Her mother said it is also difficult for parents as many of them take leave from work to accompany their wards. The second phase of CUET-UG got off to a rough start on Thursday as technical and administrative issues forced the NTA to cancel the second shift examination at all 489 centres and postpone the first shift at some locations in 17 states. These exams will be held on August 12, NIE reported.
NTA has also postponed CUET-UG in Kerala scheduled for August 4, 5 and 6 due to heavy rains and said new dates will be announced later.
The agency said on Thursday that the same admit card was valid for those who could not appear for the exam, but some students claimed on Friday that they were asked to tear them.
Roshni, who travelled from the North Campus area, said, "I have to come to the same centre tomorrow for my Section 2 exam. We have been assured that the exam will be held. But going by yesterday's and today's scenario, it looks unlikely."
With exams on August 7, candidates took to social media throughout the day tagging NTA over the admit card issues.
Apart from this, there are candidates who have shared their admit cards on social media claiming that they have been allotted cities which they did not choose.