Operation Kaveri: India begins evacuation in conflict-hit Sudantext_fields
New Delhi: India has begun Operation Kaveri to evacuate citizens stranded in Sudan after the African nation plunged into a political crisis and riots.
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said that about 500 Indians have reached Port Sudan. "Operation Kaveri gets underway to bring back our citizens stranded in Sudan. About 500 Indians have reached Port Sudan. More on their way. Our ships and aircraft are set to bring them back home. Committed to assist all our bretheren in Sudan," he tweeted.
On Sunday, New Delhi announced that Air Force C-130J is on standby in Jeddah. INS Sumedha, an indigenously designed and constructed patrol vessel of the Indian Navy, has reached Port Sudan.
The MEA said the ground situation in Sudan is very volatile and reports of fighting are coming from various parts of the capital city Khartoum. "Contingency plans are in place but any movement on the ground would depend on the security situation, which continues to be volatile with reports of fierce fighting at various locations in Khartoum." There are over 3,000 Indian citizens in Sudan.
Saudi Arabia and France have already evacuated people from various nations.
Over 150 people from 13 nations including Saudi and India arrived in the Kingdom on Saturday. In the first announced evacuation of civilians, three Indians were among the crew members of the Saudi Arabian airline that was shot at as the fighting began on the ground last week.
Earlier today, France also said it evacuated 388 people from 28 countries including India. "French evacuation operations are underway. Last night, two military flight rotations evacuated 388 people of 28 countries, including Indian nationals," tweeted the Embassy of France in India.
The US Embassy in Khartoum has been "temporarily suspended" and all US personnel and their families have been evacuated.