UGC declares 20 universities as fake; highest in Delhi, cautions students to verify institutestext_fields
New Delhi: The University Grants Commission (UGC) on Wednesday said that it has identified and declared 20 universities as fake, with the highest number (eight) based in Delhi.
Last year, the UGC declared 21 universities as fake. The UGC stated that these institutions are not authorised to grant any degrees to students and alerted the students as well against taking admission to these institutions.
It strongly advised parents and students to cross-check the authenticity of universities before enrolling in any course.
"It has come to the notice of the UGC that a number of institutions are offering degrees in contrary to the provisions of the UGC Act. Degrees awarded by such universities shall neither be recognised nor valid for higher education or employment purpose. These universities are not empowered to confer any degree," a statement by UGC secretary Manish Joshi read.
As per the list released by the UGC, the fake universities are as follows.
- All India Institute of Public & Physical Health Sciences (AIIPHS) State Government University, Office Kh No. 608-609, 1st Floor, Sant Kripal Singh Public Trust Building, near BDO Office, Alipur
- Commercial University Ltd, Daryaganj
- United Nations University
- Vocational University
- ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place
- Indian Institute of Science and Engineering
- Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK Depot
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University), 351-352, Phase-I, Block-A, Vijay Vihar, Rithala, Rohini
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayagraj
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh
- Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Bharat Bhawan, Matiyari Chinhat, Faizabad Road, Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata
- Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, Thakurpurkur
- Christ New Testament Deemed University, #32-32-2003, 7th Lane, Kakumanuvarithoto, Guntur
- Christ New Testament Deemed University, Fit No. 301, Grace Villa Apts., 7/5, Srinagar, Guntur
- Bible Open University of India, H.No. 49-35-26, N.G.O’s Colony, Visakhapatnam
Karnataka - Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum
Kerala - St John’s University, Kishanattam
Maharashtra - The Raja Arabic University, in Nagpur
Puducherry - Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, Thilaspet, Vazhuthavoor Road
According to the UGC, universities are authorized to grant degrees only if they are established under a Central, State/Provincial Act, or if they are recognized as deemed-to-be universities.
Additionally, institutions specifically empowered by an Act of Parliament also have the privilege to confer degrees to students.
This ensures that degree-granting institutions have the necessary legal backing and authorization to maintain academic standards and offer legitimate qualifications to their students.