Lucknow: The Yogi Adityanath led government in Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday directed all the district magistrates to start proceedings to withdraw cases registered for violation of pandemic guidelines during lockdown.
According to home department officials, as many as 3 lakh cases will be withdrawn.
The statement from the Principal Secretary of the UP government noted that the withdrawal of the cases will save unnecessary court proceedings.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had earlier said keeping in view the larger public interest, cases relating to violation of the Act should be withdrawn.
It may be recalled that the union government had ordered all the chief secretaries of states to evaluate such cases, and withdraw those against common people in larger public interest.
However, no exemption of case withdrawal has been given to MPs, MLAs, former MPs, and former MLAs in such cases.
A home department official also said that only those cases are being withdrawn, in which the punishment can be up to two years or fine.
These cases were registered under Disaster Management Act, Epidemic Act and disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant for breaking Covid-19 protocol.
A home department official said that Uttar Pradesh is the first state in the country to take back cases related to violation of Covid-19 protocol.
On October 8, Allahabad high court, acting on a PIL, had also directed the state government to frame a time schedule for completing exercise for withdrawal of Covid-19 protocol breach cases in accordance with the law.