Sambhal (Uttar Pradesh): A video of a stray dog nibbling away at the dead body of a girl in a government hospital spews public outrage.
On Thursday, the girl was brought to the hospital injured in a road accident and later she died.
The 20-second video shared on social media shows a dog gnawing at what appears to be a dead body, shrouded in white, lying unattended on a stretcher.
Hospital authorities have suspended two workers who apparently could not cope up with a large number of dead bodies on the day.
The girl's family blamed the hospital for negligence as the hospital administration acknowledged the stray dog problem.
Charan Singh, the father of the girl, told reporters, "It was left unattended for 1.5 hours. It is negligence of the hospital."
"The body was handed over to the family after formalities. They did not want an autopsy and were taking it away. They might have left the body unattended for a minute when the incident happened," Sushil Verma, a doctor at the hospital said.
The Samajwadi Party, also sharing the horrifying video on Twitter, called for strict action against those responsible.
A sweeper and a ward boy at the hospital have been suspended and a probe committee had been formed in the matter.
"After investigation we found out the sweeper and ward boy were responsible. They had a lot of bodies to deal with. However, we have suspended them and we have sought an explanation from the doctor that was on emergency duty along with the pharmacist. We have also formed a committee to investigate the matter," a hospital official said.
IANS report with edits