Violence at Odisha Hanuman Jayanti: police arrest 79text_fields
The curfew imposed here is still on, and the situation is inching to normalcy, and the internet remains suspended, they said. Sambalpur SP B Gangadhar was positive that there was no report of untoward incidents after the curfew was imposed in the area since early Saturday.
Police added that some of the accused are still on the run.
Gangadhar said, "While 26 people were arrested in connection with the stone pelting incident during the bike rally on April 12, 53 others have been taken into custody for violence and arson during the procession on April 14."
"It appears to be pre-planned violence as per the indications received so far. More arrests will be made in future," he said.
As per the state government's orders, the internet will remain suspended till 10 am on April 17.
Meanwhile, Odisha DGP Sunil K Bansal said that severe actions would be initiated against those involved in the violent incidents. He expressed hope that normalcy would be brought to the city in a day or two.
Police said that the prohibitory orders are, however, relaxed for students and candidates of various recruitment examinations on the day.
Union minister Giriraj Singh said it is unfortunate that the state government has been adopting an "appeasement policy" while dealing with the case.
"The government is shielding some people involved in the violence," he alleged.