Lausanne: The United States, Iran and five other world powers on Thursday announced an understanding outlining limits on Iran’s nuclear programme so it cannot lead to atomic weapons, directing negotiators toward achieving a comprehensive agreement within three months.
Reading out a joint statement, European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said a “decisive step” after more than a decade of negotiations had been achieved.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif followed with the same statement in Farsi. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and the top diplomats of Britain, France and Germany also briefly took the stage behind them.
In a tweet, Mr. Kerry said there was an agreement “to resolve major issues on nuclear programme. “Back to work soon on a final deal”.
Ms. Mogherini said the seven nations would now start writing the text of a final accord. She cited several agreed-upon restrictions on Iran’s enrichment of material that can be used either for energy production or in nuclear warheads. She said Iran won’t produce weapons-grade plutonium.
Crucially for the Iranians, economic sanctions related to its nuclear programmes are to be rolled back after the U.N. nuclear agency confirms compliance.
India has welcomed the understanding reached between Iran and the six world powers on Tehran’s contentious nuclear programme and hoped that this would lead to a comprehensive agreement by June 30.
“A significant step seems to have been taken with agreement on the parameters of a comprehensive settlement to be negotiated by June 30,” External Affairs Ministry said in statement, welcoming the understanding announced in Lausanne between Iran and the P5+1 group on the nuclear issue.
External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said, “India has always maintained that the Iranian nuclear issue should be resolved peacefully by respecting Iran’s right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy as also the international community’s strong interest in the exclusively peaceful nature of Iran’s nuclear programme.”
Stating that Thursday’s announcement underlines the success of diplomacy and dialogue, he said, India has always supported it and hopes that it would lead to a comprehensive agreement by June 30.