Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
keyboard_arrow_down
Login
exit_to_app
Women and girls need to be safe
access_time 2021-01-15T15:08:45+05:30
Another Trump impeachment
access_time 2021-01-15T11:16:29+05:30
Covid 19 spread
access_time 2021-01-14T15:40:30+05:30
Freezing the Centre or the farmer protest?
access_time 2021-01-14T12:55:08+05:30
DEEP READAll arrow_drop_down
Anti-Conversion Law: A law meant for abuse
access_time 2021-01-12T13:56:35+05:30
Syed Shahriyaar
access_time 2021-01-05T19:08:46+05:30
Reading A week in the life of Svitlana
access_time 2020-12-23T12:06:42+05:30
Hum Dekhenge- One year of Anti-CAA protests
access_time 2020-12-22T17:35:06+05:30
The French Fanatic and the Fanatic Fringe
access_time 2020-11-02T15:56:00+05:30
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightWorldchevron_rightKenyan President says...

Kenyan President says hotel siege over, 14 killed

text_fields
bookmark_border
Kenyan President says hotel siege over, 14 killed
cancel

Nairobi, Jan 16 (IANS) Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday said a siege by terrorists in the capital that left at least 14 people dead was over and all the attackers had been "eliminated".

Somali-based Al-Shabab terrorists struck the DusitD2 hotel compound, an upmarket cluster of shops and several offices in Nairobi's affluent Westlands neighbourhood on Tuesday afternoon. 

The attack began at a bank inside the compound. An explosion ripped through three vehicles in the parking lot, followed by a suicide blast in the foyer of the Dusit Hotel, police chief Joseph Boinnet was cited as saying by CNN.

An unknown number of gunmen then burst through the complex, leading to a standoff that continued through the night, with people trapped in various parts of the buildings.

"I can now confirm that... the security operation at Dusit is over and all terrorists have been eliminated," Kenyatta said in a televised address to the nation and added that 14 people had been killed. 

According to reports, more than 100 people were rescued in the early hours of Wednesday. About 30 people were being treated at Nairobi hospitals.

"No further threat to public exists," the Interior Ministry said in a statement. "Civilians who had been secured in one building by security while mopping up continues now safely evacuated. All buildings and surrounding area secure."

But sporadic gunfire and explosions continued hours after the all clear. Officials said that the evacuation was still ongoing in the morning.

A US citizen was among the dead, the US State Department said. A British citizen was also feared dead.

In 2013, Al-Shabaab militants targeted the luxury shopping centre of Westgate, killing 67 people in a siege that lasted several days.

Show Full Article
TAGS:
Web Title - Kenyan President says hotel siege over, 14 killed
Next Story