Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
keyboard_arrow_down
Login
exit_to_app
Stan Swamy needs a straw to drink water
access_time 2020-11-28T15:41:03+05:30
The unwritten gospel of Argentina
access_time 2020-11-27T17:18:41+05:30
The soccer wizard with a political streak
access_time 2020-11-27T11:28:29+05:30
General strike should be a wake-up call
access_time 2020-11-25T11:21:39+05:30
Fearless journalism
access_time 2020-11-23T16:08:15+05:30
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightWorldchevron_rightFrance wont enter a...

France won't enter a 'stupidity contest' with Italy: minister

text_fields
bookmark_border
France wont enter a stupidity contest with Italy: minister
cancel

Paris: Paris will not be drawn into a "stupidity contest" with the populist government of Italy, where officials have launched several verbal attacks on President Emmanuel Macron, France's Europe Minister Nathalie Loiseau said Wednesday.

"Our intention is not to have a stupidity contest," Loiseau said, adding that the government would not wage a war of words or otherwise seek to retaliate against Rome.

Tensions have flared between the two countries since the Five Star Movement aligned with the far-right League party came to power in Italy last June.

Macron targeted the populist government specifically last year as he sought to form a pro-Europe alliance of parties ahead of European Parliament elections in May, raising the hackles of politicians in Rome.

On Monday, Deputy Prime Minister Luigi Di Maio accused Paris of continuing to colonise Africa and causing people to migrate from the continent to Europe.

That prompted France to summon Italy's ambassador in protest over Di Maio's comments that "the EU should sanction France and all countries like France that impoverish Africa and make these people leave".

Italy's Interior Minister Matteo Salvini then poured fuel on the fire Tuesday by referring to Macron and saying he hoped French voters would soon free themselves from a "terrible president".

Salvini, who is also deputy prime minister, said in a Facebook video that he felt "close, with all my heart... to the French people, the millions of men and women who live in France under a terrible government and terrible president." Di Maio and Salvini have also voiced support for the "yellow vest" protesters who have been demonstrating against Macron's government since November.

Macron himself said last year that European populist leaders including Salvini were right to see him as their "main opponent," denouncing in particular Italy's hardline stance on refusing migrants.

Show Full Article
TAGS:
Web Title - France won't enter a 'stupidity contest' with Italy: minister
Next Story