Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
Madhyamam
    keyboard_arrow_down
    Login
    exit_to_app
    Farmer rage and Opposition parties
    access_time 19 Sep 2020 6:51 AM GMT
    access_time 19 Sep 2020 3:50 AM GMT
    Going beyond birthday celebration
    access_time 18 Sep 2020 6:05 AM GMT
    Periyar@142-Revolutionary and Visionary
    access_time 17 Sep 2020 11:57 AM GMT
    The word of caution from the highest court
    access_time 17 Sep 2020 6:31 AM GMT
    DEEP READAll arrow_drop_down
    The ogres in the mind
    access_time 8 Sep 2020 11:27 AM GMT
    Why worry about populism?
    access_time 4 Sep 2020 9:51 AM GMT
    Media mind-set towards minorities
    access_time 15 July 2020 4:29 PM GMT
    exit_to_app
    Homechevron_rightWorldchevron_rightArdern receives death...

    Ardern receives death threats on social media

    text_fields
    bookmark_border
    Ardern receives death threats on social media
    cancel

    Wellington: The New Zealand Police said on Friday that it was probing death threats sent to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on social media.

    A Twitter post containing a photo of a gun and captioned "You are next" was sent to the Prime Minister earlier on Friday, The New Zealand Herald reported.

    The post had been up for more than 48 hours before the sender's Twitter account was suspended before 4 p.m. after it was reported by various people.

    Another post tagged to Ardern and the New Zealand Police had the same photo with "next it's you".

    The suspended account contained anti-Islamic content and white supremacist hate speech.

    A police spokesperson told The New Zealand Herald: "Police are aware of a comment made on Twitter and are making enquiries."

    A Twitter spokesperson said the micro-blogging site's rules prohibit violent threats.

    "We took action shortly after we received the first report on this tweet, and our teams continue to work pro-actively to remove violative and illegal content from the service in relation to the Christchurch attack.

    "We also continue to cooperate with law enforcement to facilitate their investigations as required," the spokesperson said.

    The development come a week after 50 people were killed on March 15 by a lone gunman who went on a shooting spree at two mosques in Christchurch.

    Show Full Article
    TAGS:
    Next Story