Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
Going beyond birthday celebration
access_time 18 Sep 2020 6:05 AM GMT
Periyar@142-Revolutionary and Visionary
access_time 17 Sep 2020 11:57 AM GMT
The word of caution from the highest court
access_time 17 Sep 2020 6:31 AM GMT
access_time 16 Sep 2020 5:58 AM GMT
access_time 15 Sep 2020 6:19 AM GMT
DEEP READAll arrow_drop_down
The ogres in the mind
access_time 8 Sep 2020 11:27 AM GMT
Why worry about populism?
access_time 4 Sep 2020 9:51 AM GMT
Media mind-set towards minorities
access_time 15 July 2020 4:29 PM GMT
Homechevron_rightWorldchevron_rightChristchurch mosques...

Christchurch mosques attacker charged with terrorism

Christchurch mosques attacker charged with terrorism

Wellington: The man accused of committing the Christchurch mosques shootings on March 15 was charged on Tuesday with terrorism, New Zealand Police said.

Fifty-one people were killed in the shootings at Al-Noor and Linwood mosques in the South Island city, reports Efe news. 

"A charge of engaging in a Terrorist Act under section 6A of the Terrorism Suppression Act 2002 has now been filed against Brenton Tarrant," Police Commissioner Mike Bush said in a statement.

An additional charge of murder and two of attempted murder have also been filed, Bush said.

The 28-year-old now faces 51 charges of murder and 40 of attempted murder, as well as the terrorism charge.

The police met the victims families and survivors to inform them of the new charges and update them on the ongoing investigation and court process to come, Bush said.

Tarrant is being held at Auckland's high-security prison at Paremoremo. He appeared via video link in Christchurch High Court on April 5 where the judge ordered two mental health evaluations to be completed to assess his fitness to enter pleas. 

Tarrant is expected to reappear in court on June 14. 

New Zealand Parliament passed a gun reform bill on April 10, which was enacted days after the shootings. 

Tarrant had obtained a firearms license in November 2017 after passing all legal requirements. 

The accused live-streamed the mosque attack for 17 minutes on social media, which was shared across online platforms around the world, leading New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Adern to spearhead an effort to get both governments and tech companies to improve their efforts to tackle extremist content.

Show Full Article
Next Story