Kottayam: A 16-year old boy, who has been accused by the police of assaulting Siby, causing him severe head injuries, has said he had not attacked Siby, contrary to the police version of the incident.
Chairman of the Kerala Police Complaint Authority, Justice K Narayana Kurup, on Tuesday recorded the statement of the boy.
Siby was taken into police custody on June 29 in Marangattupally in Pala in a case relating to a fight with the boy. Police had claimed that the severe head injuries Siby suffered in the fight resulted in his death. A case has been filed naming the 16-year old as the key accused.
The accused has, however, claimed that the fight-story was actually scripted by the police. In the statement, he has said he absconded after Siby's death as the Circle Inspector asked him to do so.
The CI told him he can get away with the case only if he went missing. SI Georgekutty had met the boy a day after Siby died. He asked the boy to give a statement that he had been attacked by Siby.
The boy has also said that the complaint he filed before the CBI was out of threat from the police.
Relatives of Siby had alleged that he was subjected to brutal custodial torture due to which he suffered severe head injuries.
His parents alleged that the day he was taken into custody, police forced him to lie down in the rain on the veranda of the police station in Marangattupilly, Pala.