Thiruvananthapuram: State Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala Monday defended the withdrawal of the C.P Nair case, saying it was on humanitarian considerations.
“It was not to help anyone deliberately. The Home department took the decision to withdraw the case on humanitarian considerations. All those who are accused in the case belong to various age groups,” said Chennithala.
“The Home department will look into if there is anything unlawful happened in the decision,” he said, adding that “further course of action on it will be taken in consultation with the chief minister.”
On Sunday, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy had said the Home Department was responsible for the decision to withdraw the case against the accused in the attempt on the life of former Chief Secretary C.P. Nair.
The incident was reported on March 14, 2002 at Malayalappuzha temple in Pathanamthitta when C P Nair was blocked by some anti-socials forcing him to sign an order favouring them.
The case was transferred to the Crime Branch at Nair’s request. The agency had last year submitted its charge-sheet. It arraigned the accused on charges of attempted murder, illegal detention, unlawful assembly, rioting, and preventing State officials from discharging their duty.