Kozhikode: Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Friday visited the home of Naushad, an auto driver who died after inhaling poisonous gas inside a sewage pit while trying to save two sewerage cleaning labourers from the pit.
While talking to the media after the visit, the Chief Minister said the government would provide financial assistance to the family and a government job to Naushad’s wife considering her educational qualification.
“The government will not neglect the family of a person who sacrificed his own life to save the life of others. We must be proud of him as he went ahead despite the warning of others. The society has the responsibility to help such persons,” Chandy said.
He said the government would make sure that all the safely measures are followed by cleaning labourers to avoid similar accidents in future.
The three persons had died of asphyxiation after inhaling poisonous gas inside a sewage pit here on Thursday. The labourers, Baskar (42) and Narasimham (41) from Andhra Pradesh, went inside the sewage pit for cleaning and fainted. Auto driver Naushad, who tried to lift them after noticing the incident, also fell inside.
Fire and Rescue Service personnel rescued the trio and shifted them to the Kozhikode Medical College Hospital. But they died on way to the hospital.