Government to go ahead with Vizhinjam port projecttext_fields
Thiruvananthapuram: Notwithstanding lapses pointed out by CAG, the State government Thursday made it clear that it would go ahead with the multi-crore Vizhinjam International Deep water Multipurpose Seaport project here.
Speaking at the inauguration of the construction work of the berth of the port, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said the government would go ahead with the project irrespective of controversies.
However, he made it clear that if there were any corruption, it would be probed. The probe would not in any way affect the work of the project and it would be completed on war footing.
Vijayan also mentioned the various basic facilities like rain and power connectivity taken up as part of the port project.
Karan Adani, CEO, Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd, (APSEZ), India's largest port developer and part of the Adani Group, said they were happy with the progress made so far with regard to Vizhinjam project.
"We are overwhelmed with the support bestowed on us by the people of Kerala to develop this deepwater multi cargo port in the country", a release quoting him said.
"The project is moving as per schedule reaching the half way milestone post the successful land reclamation stage and is well on course to be completed within the stipulated time period of four years", Adani said.
The port is very strategically located for access to prominent international waterways, this project will enable India to be strategically positioned as a global transshipment hub, he said.
The project will be Kerala's first-ever deep water container transshipment port, with a deep draft of 20.5 m and the first phase of the berth being constructed will be 800 m in length.
The proposed site is on the international shipping route connecting Europe, Persian Gulf and the Far East, very close to the east-west shipping axis within 10 nautical miles.