Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
Homechevron_rightKeralachevron_rightHC asks for report on...

HC asks for report on compensation to victims of criminal cases


Kochi:  Kerala High Court has asked for a report on the scheme of compensation to victims of criminal cases.

The court was hearing a petition by RTI activist DB Binu, pleading that despite the existence of a scheme for compensation to such victims,  action was getting delayed.  The court decided to take up the petition in conjunction with other similar petitions,  and in the meantime asked for the government's explanation in the matter.

As per the provisions of Criminal Procedure Code, central and state governments are bound to take steps to compensate the victims of criminal acts.  In Kerala, such compensations are to be disbursed through Kerala Legal Service Authority (KELSA).  However,    a reply given by KELSA  as per the RTI Act states that Rs 2.13 Cr remains to be disbursed across 14 districts.

In addition to this,  an amount of Rs 25 lakhs is due to the victims of the acid atacks.  The petition seeks to grant an amount of Rs 2.5 Cr to KELSA on urgent basis,  and to take action in line with Kerala Victims Compensation Scheme to rehabilitate the victims.

The petition also cites the information that although a bill was prepared for Rs 1.36 Cr,  it could not be presented at the treasury for want of government approval.

Show Full Article
News Summary - HC asks for report on compensation to victims of criminal cases
Next Story