When the actor Dileep's trial in the actress abduction case was near its end, one of his former friends and director Balachandra Kumar made revelations about Dileep regarding the case. He also revealed the high level influence and a VIP involvement in the case.
The alleged kidnappers physically attacked the actress while she was being held captive, Kumar said. He added that Dileep also had a copy of the video.
A few days back, it was revealed that it was not he who was the VIP but someone else and the media and police have been searching for this person since the incident.
In a press conference on Saturday, hotelier Mehaboob, whose interests lie in Qatar, said that after hearing about his name doing the rounds, he decided to contact the media to clarify the matter.
Mehaboob, a hotelier with business interests in Qatar, called a press conference at his home on Saturday after some TV channels and online media hinted that the VIP is a Kottayam-based businessman. As soon as he heard about his name being talked about, he decided to speak out.
Dileep and I spoke about opening a hotel in Doha. I find it quite surprising that all the speculation revolves around me, as I am not a VIP. Dileep and I talked about opening a hotel at Doha. In the past three years, I have been in contact just three times and I have no clue or knowledge about the actress abduction case. I am willing to cooperate with any investigation and am prepared to go through any narco analysis. When the police call, I will appear before them," said Mehaboob.
Immediately after Kumar's revelations, the police registered a fresh case, and fearing arrest, Dileep filed an anticipatory bail plea.
In light of the recent revelations against actor Dileep, the Kerala High Court has decided to hear his anticipatory bail petition on Tuesday.
According to the state, Dileep will not be arrested until then. Kumar appeared before the police probe team on Tuesday and gave his detailed statement. On Wednesday, he provided the same testimony to a local judge.
Kumar claims that Dileep has seen the visuals which had previously only been seen by the trial court, and this fresh revelation has landed him in deep trouble. However, Dileep dismissed all the allegations as "baseless" and stated that he has done nothing wrong.
Dileep was arrested in 2017 and lodged in prison in a case related to a gang sexually assaulting a frontline heroine of South Indian movies and filming the scenes.
After two months in jail, he was released on bail and the trial in the case is on, when the fresh revelation has come.