Burdwan, West Bengal: Two women were killed and 50 others were affected, when gas leaked from a cylinder in a welding workshop in West Bengal's Burdwan district on Tuesday.
Out of the 50, 12 people were seriously affected. The incident happened in Asansol under Gopalpur police station when ammunium sulphate gas leaked from the cylinder, Asansol-Durgapur Police Commissioner Vineet Goel said.
The deceased were identified as Satya Bala Das (80) and Ujjala Das (78). Among those affected by the gas leak is a child.
The poisonous gas spread to an area stretching to more than two kms, Goel said. The district administration has ordered a probe into the incident.