New Delhi: The government was faced with an embarrassing situation Wednesday over reports which claimed that Rajnath Singh's son Pankaj had been ticked off by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for an alleged "misconduct", prompting the Home Minister as well as the PMO to issue strong denials.
Scotching the "rumours", Singh asserted that he would quit politics if even "prima facie" it is proved that any of his family member had been involved in any misconduct.
His statement came in the wake of a report which said he was upset with stories that claimed his son was pulled up by Modi for an alleged "misconduct".
Singh said rumours about alleged wrong doings by his family members have been floating around for the last fortnight.
"In the last 15-20 days, there have been continuous rumours in the air about me and my family. I thought rumours have no basis and these will end in some days.
"But I am seeing that these rumours are gaining momentum day-by-day. I want to assure the nation that the day allegations, even prima facie or even small, are proven against me or my family, I will quit politics and public life and sit at home," he said in a hurriedly called interaction with journalists outside his office at the North Block.
The Home Minister said he has talked to Modi and BJP president Amit Shah about it and both of them expressed surprise and termed the rumours as completely baseless.
Simultaneously, the PMO also issued a statement, rubbishing the reports and dubbing them as "plain lies, motivated and malicious attempt" to tarnish the image of the government.
"This has reference to reports appearing in a section of the media over the past several weeks, mentioning the Prime Minister, and referring to the conduct of some Union Ministers, and alleged misconduct of the Home Minister's son," said statement.
"The reports are plain lies, motivated and constitute a malicious attempt at character assassination and tarnishing the image of the Government," it said. — PTI