Indore: Union Environment Minister Prakash Javedekar Saturday said that the Centre may outline a plan of action for safe disposal of 350 tonne industrial waste at the Union Carbide factory here in February.
The solid toxic waste is lying at the defunct plant premises for 30 years now since its closure after the infamous Bhopal Gas Tragedy in 1984.
"The disposal of carbide waste is a very important and sensitive matter. We are not only concerned but also taking necessary steps on the issue. We want to dispose of this waste in a safe manner," Jawdekar told reporters.
"A number of meetings on the administrative level have taken place on the issue. We will make public through media entire details of the government action so far," he said.
Blaming the then Congress ministers for the present situation, Jawdekar said because of them the responsibility of the foreign company (Union Carbide) could not be fixed on the disaster.
NGOs have been opposing the move to do away with the toxic waste at an incinerator in Pithampur Industrial area, about 25 kms away from Indore claiming that it lacks the necessary facility for safe disposal of this kind of waste without harming human populace and environment.