Curfew remains in force, death toll climbs to 56text_fields
Srinagar: Curfew remained in force in entire Srinagar district and Anantnag town today to thwart the separatists' plan to stage a two-day sit-in in the city centre even as the death toll in the ongoing unrest climbed to 56 in the Valley with the death of a youth injured in firing.
"Curfew has been imposed in entire Srinagar district to foil the plans of some elements to stage a sit-in for two days in the Lal Chowk city centre," a police official said.
He said curfew also remained in force in Anantnag town in south Kashmir.
The separatist camp, headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik, had asked the people to hold a "referendum" march at Lal Chowk today and tomorrow.
The separatist camp is spearheading the protests in the Valley over the civilian killings during the protests against the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani last month.
The death toll in the ongoing unrest went up to 56 as a youth, Suhail Ahmad Wani, who was injured in firing by a policeman last week, succumbed to injuries at a hospital here today, the official said.
Wani had suffered a bullet injury in the head on August 2 at Lethpora in Pulwama district on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway.
Normal life remained affected in the Valley for the 36th consecutive day due to the curbs imposed by the authorities and separatist sponsored strike against the killing of civilians in the security forces action.
Schools, colleges, business establishments, petrol pumps and private offices remained closed while public transport remained off the roads.
The attendance in government offices and banks was also thin, the official said.
Mobile Internet services continued to remain snapped in the entire Valley.