Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
Time out in the wrestlers protest
access_time 2 Jun 2023 5:15 AM GMT
When the school bell rings again
access_time 1 Jun 2023 12:13 PM GMT
Manipur strife should be stemmed
access_time 30 May 2023 4:23 AM GMT
Story, screenplay and direction: Hatred
access_time 29 May 2023 8:07 AM GMT
India lagging behind in human rights
access_time 29 May 2023 4:17 AM GMT
Homechevron_rightIndiachevron_rightCurfew continues in...

Curfew continues in Kashmir

Curfew continues in Kashmir

Srinagar: Strict curfew continued on Monday in most parts of the Kashmir Valley following heightened tension over the death of 22 people during protests against the killing of a top Hizbul commander, Burhan Wani.

The victims comprised 21 protesters and a police driver. They were killed during clashes with security forces, mostly in Anantnag, Shopian, Kulgam and Pulwama districts.

Shabir Ahmad, the first victim from Srinagar succumbed to bullet injuries late Sunday evening,

Kashmir Valley erupted in anger on Saturday after security forces shot dead Burhan Wani, a top leader of the Hizbul Mujahideen, along with two of his associates on Friday. His funeral was attended by thousands.

Three policemen taken hostage by angry mobs in south Kashmir on Friday, returned back safely, but their weapons were seized, police said here on Monday.

Four police stations, 36 civil administration offices and dozens of vehicles were destroyed by unruly mobs.

A total of 102 civilians and 100 security personnel were injured in the bloody clashes.

All senior separatist leaders including Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, were placed under arrest by the authorities while the state government on Sunday requested them to help normalise the situation.

It is feared if things are not quickly brought under control, Kashmir could be in the throws of another bloody unrest when in 2010, 112 protesters died in clashes with security forces.

Show Full Article
Next Story