Madrid: Spanish tennis ace Rafael Nadal confirmed on Monday that he would not be able to defend his US Open tennis title due to a wrist injury.
The World No.2 missed the recent Masters 1000 series events in Toronto and Cincinnati due to the injury to his right wrist, reports Xinhua. Last week, Nadal had said that he was working hard to be in condition to compete in Flushing Meadow but his wrist was still troubling him when he tried to play backhand shots.
Those fears were confirmed on Monday when the Spaniard issued a communique confirming he would not be able to play in the last Grand Slam of the year. "I am sorry to announce that I will not be able to participate in the US Open, a tournament where I have had very good results in recent years," explained Nadal.
"I hope you understand this is a difficult moment for me as it is a tournament that I love and where I have had good memories of the fans, the night matches and of many other things," said Nadal, who said his season was now over.
"There is nothing more I can do than accept that I can' t compete this year and as always I will work hard so that when I return I am prepared in the best way to compete," he concluded.