Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
keyboard_arrow_down
Login
exit_to_app
Two mind-sets: one here,  the other there
access_time 2021-01-20T13:57:46+05:30
What is Halal? Market strategies and controversy
access_time 2021-01-19T15:54:19+05:30
Arnabs chats cannot be ignored
access_time 2021-01-18T11:33:12+05:30
Women and girls need to be safe
access_time 2021-01-15T15:08:45+05:30
DEEP READAll arrow_drop_down
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightSportschevron_rightInjured Vijender Singh ...

Injured Vijender Singh pulls out of National Games

text_fields
bookmark_border
Injured Vijender Singh pulls out of National Games
cancel

Thiruvananthapuram: Star Indian boxer Vijender Singh has pulled out of the 35th National Games starting on Saturday after failing to recover from a nagging nose injury.

"I have not been able to recover from the nose injury which had forced me out of the Asian Games November last. It flared up again while I was training some days back," Vijender told PTI.

The former Olympic bronze-medallist middleweight boxer, however, assured that the injury was not career-threatening.

"It is not a major injury but I have to be careful. I cannot risk competing while carrying this problem, that's why I have decided to pull out of the Games. I will have to wait some more to make a comeback," he said.

The 29-year-old was last seen in action at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow last year where he won a silver medal.

Vijender's pullout adds to the list of star athletes, who have decided to give the Games a miss owing to varied reasons.

Missing in action will be badminton star Saina Nehwal and top wrestlers Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt among others.

Vijender said he was keen to participate had it not been for the injury.

"I wanted to participate in the Games and was preparing for the event but this injury has forced me to make a last-minute pullout," Vijender said.

The boxing competition of the Games will be staged in Thrissur.

Show Full Article
TAGS:
Next Story