Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
keyboard_arrow_down
exit_to_app
Farmer rage and Opposition parties
access_time 19 Sep 2020 6:51 AM GMT
access_time 19 Sep 2020 3:50 AM GMT
Going beyond birthday celebration
access_time 18 Sep 2020 6:05 AM GMT
Periyar@142-Revolutionary and Visionary
access_time 17 Sep 2020 11:57 AM GMT
The word of caution from the highest court
access_time 17 Sep 2020 6:31 AM GMT
DEEP READAll arrow_drop_down
The ogres in the mind
access_time 8 Sep 2020 11:27 AM GMT
Why worry about populism?
access_time 4 Sep 2020 9:51 AM GMT
Media mind-set towards minorities
access_time 15 July 2020 4:29 PM GMT
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightSportschevron_rightAussies went soft on...

Aussies went soft on Kohli and India: Clarke

text_fields
bookmark_border
Aussies went soft on Kohli and India: Clarke

Melbourne : The Australian cricketers were so keen on protecting their lucrative IPL deals that they felt “scared” of sledging India captain Virat Kohli and his teammates during a particular period, former skipper Michael Clarke has claimed.

“Everybody knows how powerful India are as regards the financial part of the game, internationally or domestically with the IPL,” Clarke told Big Sports Breakfast.

“I feel that Australian cricket and probably every other team over a little period were too scared to sledge Kohli or the other Indian players because they had to play with them in April,” the World Cup-winning Australian skipper said, dropping a bombshell.

Clarke believes that some of Australia’s ruthless on-field character got compromised because the top-10 draws at the IPL auctions gave an impression that they would never sledge Kohli.

“Name a list of ten players and they are bidding for these Australian players to get into their IPL team,” he said.

“The players were like: ‘I’m not going to sledge Kohli, I want him to pick me for Bangalore so I can make my USD1 million for my six weeks’

“I feel like that’s where Australia went through that little phase where our cricket became a little bit softer or not as hard as we’re accustomed to seeing,” Clarke said about the time after the ball-tampering scandal when terms like “Elite honesty” were propagated.

India and Australia have always enjoyed a fiery on-field chemistry with the two teams engaging in many verbal wars in the past.

Show Full Article