Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
exit_to_app
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightSportschevron_rightAustralian Open...

Australian Open lead-up games suspended after Covid scare

text_fields
bookmark_border
Australian Open lead-up games suspended after Covid scare
cancel

Sydney: Play has been suspended at two Australian Open lead-up events after a hotel quarantine worker tested positive for Covid-19, organizers announced.

A 26-year-old worker at the Grand Hyatt Hotel returned a negative test at the end of his previous shift on January 29 but subsequently developed symptoms and tested positive on Wednesday, prompting the state officials to reintroduce virus restrictions.

It was not known exactly how the man contracted the infection or whether it was one of the more contagious strains being reported overseas, with health officials awaiting genomic sequencing data.

According to the reports from Xinhua news agency, no matches were played on Thursday in the Melbourne Summer Series and ATP Cup, while up to 600 players and staff were required to isolate until they returned a negative test result.

Authorities are acting on the assumption that other people had been infected as several locations across the city of Melbourne were named as potential transmission sites.

Victorian State Premier Daniel Andrews has reintroduced the mandatory use of face masks indoors and reduced the number of visitors allowed in private homes as well as postponing a push to get more workers back into offices.

"There's a number of, about 500 or 600 people, that are either players and officials and others who are casual contacts. They will be isolating until they get a negative test," Andrews said.

Andrews added that the Australian Open, scheduled to begin on Monday, would go ahead as planned and that Victoria's health experts and officials as well as the public were experienced in containing such outbreaks.

"We've got one case. We're going to work very hard to keep numbers as low as we possibly can. Decisions have been made, and we'll proceed as we can," Andrews said.

An update on the match schedule for Friday will be announced later on Thursday.

Show Full Article
TAGS:Australian Open 
Next Story