Travel restrictions: Novak Djokovic pulls out of US Opentext_fields
New York: Citing travel restrictions, World No.6 Novak Djokovic announced on Thursday that he is withdrawing himself from the upcoming US Open tennis tournament. The star player has not got vaccinated against Covid-19 yet, IANS reported.
Djokovic, the three-time US Open Champion, wrote on Twitter, "Sadly, I will not be able to travel to NY this time for US Open. Thank you, #NoleFam, for your messages of love and support. "
At present, unvaccinated foreigners are not allowed to enter the United States. The country's health protection agency, US Center for Disease Control and Prevention, has reviewed certain rules for unvaccinated in recent weeks. However, the travel restrictions are still in force, which is apparent from Djokovic's withdrawal.
He said, "Good luck to my fellow players! I'll keep in good shape and positive spirit, and wait for an opportunity to compete again. See you soon, tennis world!"
The 35-year-old player holds a 23-5 record this season after the title runs at the Italian Open in Rome and Wimbledon. He owns 21 major championships.
Earlier this year, he had a legal fight to play in the Australian Open after not being vaccinated. He lost the battle, couldn't defend the title and got deported. He didn't enter the tournaments in North America in 2022, such as Montreal and Cincinnati.
Meanwhile, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) called Djokovic's withdrawal unfortunate and added that it is looking forward to having him in the tournament next year.
US Open Tournament Director Stacey Allaster said, "Novak is a great champion and, unfortunately, he will be unable to compete at the 2022 US Open, as he is unable to enter the country due to the federal government's vaccination policy for non-U.S.citizens. We look forward to welcoming Novak back at the 2023 US Open."
The US Open main draw is to be played from August 29 to September 11.