Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
proflie-avatar
Login
exit_to_app
DEEP READ
Schools breeding hatred
access_time 14 Sep 2023 10:37 AM GMT
Ukraine
access_time 16 Aug 2023 5:46 AM GMT
When ‘Jai Sree Ram’ becomes a death call
access_time 15 Feb 2024 9:54 AM GMT
Strengthening the Indian Republic
access_time 26 Jan 2024 4:43 AM GMT
When the US and UK fight Houthis
access_time 17 Jan 2024 6:08 AM GMT
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightSportschevron_rightIOA plea to extend...

IOA plea to extend deadline to submit entries of Indian wrestlers rejected by Asian Games organisers

text_fields
bookmark_border
IOA plea to extend deadline to submit entries of Indian wrestlers rejected by Asian Games organisers
cancel

New Delhi: The IOA requested a further extension of the deadline to send entries by name for the Indian wrestling squad for the continental multi-sport event, but the Hangzhou Asian Games Organising Committee (HAGOC) rejected the request.

The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) had already asked the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) to extend the entry deadline for Indian wrestlers to August 5, but they were only granted a seven-day extension (to July 22).

The HAGOC has set July 15 as the date for all competing countries to send the names of their athletes for the Asian Games (September 23 to October 8), PTI reported.

On Monday, the IOA again requested the OCA to re-consider extending the date to sometime in August, which was rejected by HAGOC.

"The Hangzhou Organising Committee has rejected the IOA's request for further extension.

They conveyed it to the OCA and OCA has told this to the IOA," an Indian Olympic Association source told PTI.

With the July 22 deadline fast approaching for picking the Indian wrestling team and sending the names to HAGOC, the IOA's ad-hoc panel will have to race against time to organise the trials and select the team for the prestigious event.

The request for delaying of sending entries by name was earlier made by the six protesting wrestlers, including Olympic medallists Bajrang Punia and Sakshi Malik and Asian Games gold winner Vinesh Phogat.

They had requested the sports ministry to extend the dates for the trials, saying, because of the agitation against outgoing WFI chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, they were not in prime shape to appear for the trials.

The IOA chief had then written to the OCA to extend the date for sending entries by name to August 10 -- later August 5.

But the OCA only gave them an extension of seven days (July 22).

But with the HAGOC finally rejecting IOA's request, it remains to be seen what the ad-hoc panel led by Bhupender Singh Bajwa will do in the next couple of days to hold trials at the earliest.

Besides, the one-bout proposal for the six protesting wrestlers is also off the table.

The ad-hoc committee had come up with a proposal where the six protesting wrestlers had to appear for just a one-off bout against the winners of the trials in their respective categories.

But following strong opposition from wrestlers, their coaches and parents over the "favour" being given to the protesting wrestlers, the ad-hoc panel has shot down its own proposal.

Show Full Article
TAGS:IOAAsian GamesWrestlers protest
Next Story