Washington: In what has been termed as the deadliest US school shooting so far this year, a 15-year-old student on Tuesday opened fire at a high school north of Detroit, Michigan, killing three students and injuring eight other people, including a teacher.
Oakland County undersheriff Michael McCabe told reporters that three students were killed in a shooting that took place shortly after noon while classes were in session at Oxford High School.
The sheriff's office said the dead were a 16-year-old male, a 14-year-old female, and a 17-year-old female.
Of the wounded, six were in stable condition and two were undergoing surgery.
The suspect, a 15-year-old high school sophomore, was taken into custody within five minutes of the initial 911 call, McCabe said.
A semi-automatic handgun was seized, but there was no immediate explanation for what might have prompted the attack.
"There was no resistance during the arrest and the suspect has asked for a lawyer and has not made any statements as to a motive," the sheriff's office said.
"It's a very tragic situation," Undersheriff Michael McCabe told reporters.
President Joe Biden was informed of the shooting during a visit to Minnesota who expressed his condolences to the families of the victims.
"My heart goes out to the families enduring the unimaginable grief of losing a loved one," he said.
"That whole community has to be just in a state of shock right now."
McCabe said police had been in contact with the suspect's parents and had searched their home.
The suspect had been in class today and appeared to carry out the attack alone.
It was unclear if victims had been specifically targeted or were randomly shot, McCabe said.
"He's not talking to us at this time," he told reporters.
McCabe said police were combing the scene at the school, which has about 1,800 students and will want to interview anyone who might have information on the suspect.