Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
exit_to_app
exit_to_app
Homechevron_rightWorldchevron_rightBBC confesses its...

BBC confesses its integrity compromised in airing Diana's interview

text_fields
bookmark_border
BBC confesses its integrity compromised in airing Dianas interview
cancel

London: BBC for the first time has confessed that its high standards of integrity and transparency were compromised in broadcasting an interview with the late Princess of Wales, Diana, in 1995, accepting a report of an independent probe into the controversial interview that was arranged on false pretexts.

The inquiry also exerted pressure on the BBC Board to announce a review of the broadcaster's editorial and whistle-blowing policies. The Board also announced that it would be careful to ensure past mistakes are not repeated.

"We accepted Lord Dyson's findings in full and reiterate the apology we have offered to all those affected by the failings identified," it said.

BBC said that it recognises the impact that the events it describes have had on so many people, not least those whose lives were personally affected by what happened. It also said that it acknowledges the fact that audiences had a right to expect better from the BBC.

The report published last week by an independent inquiry led by John Dyson, a retired senior judge, found that former BBC reporter Martin Bashir had acted in a "deceitful" way and faked documents to obtain the interview.

The inquiry found Bashir mocked up fake bank statements that falsely suggested individuals were being paid for keeping the princess under surveillance.

He later showed the fake documents to Diana's brother, Earl Spencer, to gain his trust to gain access to Diana and persuade her to agree to give the interview.

The BBC carried out its own investigation into the issue in 1996, but it "fell short of the high standards of integrity and transparency", according to the latest inquiry.

Bashir has stepped down from his role as the BBC's religion editor, the corporation has confirmed.

Former BBC director-general Tony Hall announced on May 22 that he has resigned as the National Gallery's chairman.

Continuing in the role "would be a distraction", said Hall, who was director of news during the time of the interview, which the broadcaster claimed was the first time a serving British Royal had spoken openly about her life, including her "unhappy marriage" to Prince Charles, their affairs and her bulimia.

The Met Police has said it will assess the contents of the inquiry into the interview to ensure there is no "significant new evidence" to support a criminal investigation.

Show Full Article
TAGS:BBC Princess Diana 
Next Story