‘I couldn’t trust anybody’: Prince Harry, accuses British tabloids of phone hackingtext_fields
London: Prince Harry has become the first British royal in more than 100 years to give evidence in court alongside accusing tabloid press of being ‘incredibly invasive’.
Harry, the younger son of King Charles III, told in a witness statement in London High Court that publisher of The Mirror, Sunday Mirror and the Sunday People engage in illegal information gathering, including phone hacking.
The Duke of Sussex said that tabloid publishers hacked his voicemails right when he was teenager and added that he felt he ‘couldn’t trust anybody’, according to BBC.
Prince Harry opened about his suffering at the hands of tabloid newspaper saying that most of his life till date he had been a victim of ‘relentless and distressing media intrusion’.
He alleged that he was negatively portrayed as ‘ spare to the heir’, and added that the stories he believed in, came from hacking, damaged his relationship, and raised security concerns.
Accusing the media of being tainted with blood in their hands, the 38-year-old said that the press was trying to break up his relationships.
‘How much more blood will stain their typing fingers before someone can put a stop to this madness,’ Harry wondered in his a witness statement.
Harry, who had moved to California with his American wife Meghan, recounted some of the epithets that were used to describe him
He said he was described as a 'playboy prince' the 'failure', the 'dropout, ‘thicko', the 'cheat', the 'underage drinker' the 'irresponsible drug taker'.
Calling the tabloid reporting ‘utterly vile’, he said ‘ As a teenager and in my early 20s, I ended up feeling as though I was playing up to a lot of the headlines and stereotypes that they wanted to pin on me... It was a downward spiral.’
Responding to the charges, The Mirror group's lawyer expressed sympathy for the prince but denied doing any ‘all unlawful’ journalism.