Despite US President Joe Biden's call for a truce, Israel broke the brief 8 hours ceasefire in the early hours of Thursday, reports The Guardian. Shortly after Biden's phone call, Netanyahu said he was "determined" to continue bombing Gaza until Israel's "aim is met". With this, the UN Security Council's efforts at peace between Israel and Gaza's Hamas has stalled again.
A Hamas official had told the media that the ongoing efforts for a ceasefire is bearing fruit and could be expected in a day or two. An Israeli officer reportedly had also said the same, and that Israel would agree to stop attacking and killing Hamas militants. Hamas, in return, must stop rocket attacks, digging "attack tunnels", and halt demonstrations along the border. Both the forces had denied an imminent truce on Wednesday, but efforts for the same were going on.
France had circulated a UN resolution and issued a joint statement with Egypt and Jordan calling for a ceasefire. They had said that they would work with the UN to ensure humanitarian help for civilians in Gaza. According to Al Jazeera television, UN Middle East envoy Tor Wennesland had met Hamas chief, Ismail Haniyeh, in Qatar.
The two forces had stopped firing for eight hours, the most prolonged halt between firing in eleven days, after Joe Biden's open call for a ceasefire. While Hamas had earlier stated that a truce is around the corner, Israel media also said the same and added that their military's goals are nearly met.
Since 10th May, when the conflict began, 288 people have died in Gaza according to Palestinian health officials, while 12 deaths were officially reported in Israel.