US shares rare criticism; opposes Israel's settlement expansion planstext_fields
In an unexpected turn of events, the US government said that Israel's expansion plans in the West Bank damages the "prospects for a two-state solution".
Department of State spokesperson Ned Price said that the Biden administration is deeply concerned about the Israeli government's plan to advance thousands of settlement units tomorrow, on Wednesday, many of them deep in the West Bank, reported Al Jazeera. Price also criticised the efforts to retroactively legalise Israel's irregular settlement outposts in the Palestinian territory. However, he did not comment when asked whether Israel would face repercussions from the US administration.
He added that the US government is concerned about the publication of tenders on Sunday for 1,300 settlement units in several West Bank settlements. He observed that the move is inconsistent with efforts to lower tensions and ensure calm.
Price said that the US administration has discussed the concerns with Israel, and they know where the US stands. The US will continue to engage with Israel in diplomacy. Current US President Joe Biden had earlier rejected the calls to condition US aid to Israel. Congress is expected to approve $1 billion for Israel's Iron Dome missile defence system. Biden has already signalled his support for the new funding.