Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
Homechevron_rightIndiachevron_rightTwo dead while...

Two dead while cleaning underground chamber in Navi Mumbai

Two dead while cleaning underground chamber in Navi Mumbai

Mumbai: Two workers died in Navi Mumbai after inhaling toxic gas while cleaning an underground chamber. They were not provided safety gear and a case has been filed against the site engineer for negligence.

The deceased have been identified as Jharkhand native Vijay Hansda (29), and Sandip Hanbe (35) from Digha in Airoli. The sanitation workers were engaged by a private firm for the cleaning job.

The co-worker, Murtuja Shaikh (30), who was waiting outside said a strong smell of chemicals emanated while they were cleaning the sewer chamber. He managed to pull out one of the three colleagues with a rope. But the other two died. Workers from a nearby company also rushed to the spot and brought out the two workers. Upon arriving at a municipal hospital in Airoli, doctors declared them dead, said a police official.

The third, Sonot Hansda (49), is admitted to the hospital in critical condition. He is receiving treatment and his condition is improving.

The Rabale MIDC police registered a case of negligence causing death under sections 304A and 336 of the Indian Penal Code. Site supervisor Dattatre Giridhari was arrested and presented before the court where he was sent to police custody till Dec 8.

Show Full Article
TAGS:sanitation workersewage workerstoxic fumes
Next Story